The HSA is an independent registered charity. It is the only UK charity concerned exclusively in promoting the humane treatment of all food animals worldwide, including cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry, fish and minority species such as deer, in markets, during transport, and at slaughter. It works through research, education, training and technical advances to bring real, practical and lasting improvements in food animal welfare.
Practical, constructive, proven
The majority of the population in many parts of the world eats meat and, despite changing attitudes, this is likely to continue. Slaughter is never pleasant, but it can be humane, and growing numbers of people are interested and concerned about the welfare of the animals that provide them with food.
Significant improvements continue to be achieved by the HSA through working
constructively alongside agricultural, meat industry, veterinary and other welfare and professional organisations.
The HSA has built an international reputation for being a reliable, knowledgeable and practical organisation, with a sound understanding of livestock and livestock handling. In the 1920s it introduced the now almost universal mandatory use of stunning equipment at slaughter, replacing primitive and unreliable methods. Since then it has been responsible
for many of the reforms taken for granted.
Click to Meet the HSA staff . ..... . Click to read the history of the HSA
The HSA provides:
- Up-to-date technical information and advice on all aspects of animal handling, transport and slaughter.
- Training in humane methods of handling and slaughter of livestock for farmers, vets, abattoir staff and students.
- Ground-breaking educational and technical videos, CD-ROMs, DVDs, and printed publications.
- Independent advice to governments, other welfare organisations and the food industry, both in the UK and worldwide.
- Regular visits to markets and slaughterhouses recommending and advising on improvements where necessary.
- Funding for essential research projects through grants and awards. Development and application of appropriate scientific advances into the working practices of the meat industry.
- Grants towards the improvement of animal handling facilities in markets and slaughterhouses.
Together we can make a difference
The HSA relies on voluntary donations,
subscriptions and legacies. With your support it
will continue to make practical and lasting
improvements to the welfare of all food animals. To find out more about this work, contact the HSA.
For information on how you can help, click here.
Back to Top
Back to Home